WORLD NEWS

Government planning to sell Eastern Jetty of Colombo Port to India: JVP

The Gotabaya Rajapaksa government that came to power promising not to sell state property has approved a Cabinet Paper to sell the Eastern Jetty of the Colombo Port to an Indian Company, which is recorded as the first task undertaken by the President following the 20th Amendment to the Constitution, the Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna (JVP) charged yesterday.

JVP politburo member Lal Kantha told a news conference that the 20A was passed in Parliament on October 22 and the Cabinet Paper to sell the Eastern Jetty of the Colombo Port to an Indian Company was presented in Cabinet on the same day.

“That Cabinet Paper was approved on November 9. President Gotabhaya Rajapaksa claimed that he wanted more power to serve people and as his first task after passing the 20A, the Cabinet Paper to sell the Eastern Jetty of the Colombo Port was presented in the Cabinet,” he said.

It was reported that 49 per cent of shares would be given to the Indian Company while the Ports Authority would retain the other 51 per cent, Mr. Lal Kantha said. “However, According to reports of the Indian High Commissioner, they are requesting more than 49 per cent of shares. We will see what happens,’ he said.

He urged all port trade unions not to withdraw from the fight to safeguard the Colombo port and urged them to rally together and face the struggle.

Indian PM confident of reaching full potential of bilateral relationship with Sri Lanka under President Rajapaksa

India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi in a congratulatory message to Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa on the first anniversary of assumption of Office expressed confidence that full potential of the bilateral relationship between the two countries will be realized under President’s decisive leadership.

Prime Minister Modi congratulating President Rajapaksa noted that the India Sri Lanka relationship had expanded into new areas and was strengthened in the past one year, the High Commission of India said in a statement.

“Prime Minister Modi underlined that the strong collaboration between the two countries in the midst of challenges posed by COVID-19 pandemic symbolized the friendly ties between the two peoples. Prime Minister Modi reiterated India’s commitment to support Sri Lanka’s fight against the COVID 19 pandemic as well as in Sri Lanka’s development priorities. He also expressed confidence that under the decisive leadership of President Gotabaya Rajapaksa full potential of the bilateral relationship will be realized,” the statement said.

Prime Minister Modi wished the President success in the tenure ahead and looked forward to continued close cooperation.

The congratulatory letter is in continuation of regular interactions between India and Sri Lanka at the leadership level which has resulted into significant strides in the field of development cooperation, trade and economic ties, people to people contacts despite the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, the High Commission said.

Courtesy: Colombo Page

About the author

editorenglish

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *